Monday, July 28, 2008

My Alien Encounters


My childhood world was populated by knights and princesses; cowboys and indians, even talking animals; not anywhere was there, not even once, an alien, or a spaceship, or an astronaut of any kind. Maybe it is because my dad wasn't into that kind of thing, and my only brother was 8 years younger than me, and was not into that either. So while I can be scared of mass-murders, non-alien-fantasy monsters, evil princes, ROUS even, I can't be scared by aliens. My suspension of disbelief cannot be breached with aliens! They just don't scare me because to me they just cannot exist on this earth.

This being said, Scully (wonderful friend!) invited me to have some fun with her and some friends this Pioneer weekend for an X-Files marathon, pre-the new movie. And much to my suprise I enjoyed myself! I don't think I will ever be a huge fan (primarily because of the alien thing), but the plots are intriguing, and D.D. is a very good-looking man. So, will I ever be scared, fasinated or intirigued by aliens? No, but I can enjoy some good entertainment. The second movie was good, I thought, but my lack of X-Files experience doesn't make me a good judge.

And I am going to try reading Stephanie Meyer's The Host, which consequently is about aliens, and try one more time to see if I can have suspension of disbelief.

4 comments:

Scully said...

I'm so glad you had fun! I didn't know if you would enjoy the mad obsession.

Missy said...

Shawn wants to see that movie, so now that you've seen it (which by the way, you see PG-13 movies now?) it's probaby good.
And The Host is SUPER good!! You'll love it!

Unknown said...

I don't I just did because I was having a pity party weekend and Scully got me out of the house! :D

JMadd said...

Good luck getting past chapter 5 of The Host. I sold it on Amazon because I just couldn't get into the book. It's prolly because I'm not into aliens either. Don't bother seeing the new Indiana Jones movie because that has aliens in it, too, and they kind of ruined the whole movie for me.