Wednesday, March 19, 2008

People Outside of Utah

Are not freaky, devilish, and strange--at least not all of them. LOL. A student teacher at my school was talking about how "scared" SCARED she is of the thought of EVER living outside of the state of Utah. SCARED of the people out there. I held my tongue, but wanted to say hey, I grew up outside of Utah, and I am a little scared that you have that opinion of people outisde of this state, and think it is a little close-minded of you to never even desire to live outside of the state. I am not trying to be critical of those of you who want to live in Utah forever, I am just saying--from the point of view of someone who grew up outside of Utah, we are not strange, and I did not feel endangered or weird living in Washington. There are good people everywhere, there are scary people everywhere, and as a high school teacher in the state of Utah, there is sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll here just like everywhere else--.

Utah was an adjustment for me, as it is for a lot of people who move into the state, but I like it, I really do. But it is healthy and wonderful to have the mix of cultures and peoples that you find in other states. I think it is probably likewise very healthy to live in another state at one point in your life, or atleast travel around and see that life outside of Utah is intersting, and wonderful, and there are good, conservative people of other faiths out there, who are not scary, and make nice neighbors.

I am sorry if I offended anyone!

6 comments:

Kelly said...

You should have really told her that and I would have liked to see her face after. LOL!

Stupendousman35 said...

I think I would be scared to live in Utah for the rest of my life...

Duludes said...

You where way to nice. I would of given her a ear full in fact I probably still would be giving her a ear full. I'm sure she is nice and all but a little naive maybe.

Missy said...

I'm totally offended having lived in Utah ALMOST my whole life!! But I'd like to think that I travel to lots of different places and I'm not too scared of places (unless we (as in Shawn) gets lost in South Central LA!!!)

Scully said...

Like, does she think we all live in the inner city and have to risk our lives just to reach a grocery store? Or that we are regularly treated to people in masks burning effigies of Mormon on our front lawns? What is she scared of, exactly? I mean, does she literally fear leaving the state at all, or just to settle so far from home? I would feel so confined if I thought I would be living in the exact same place my entire life. Ick.

Relaxed Cat said...

anyone that would risk leaving Zion deserves to burn in hell!

;)