Tuesday, March 04, 2008

National Good Grammar Day


So it has been brought to my attention that today is National Good Grammar Day, and according to MSN one of the top reasons good grammar is important is because "Good Grammar is Sexy," women will overlook men who have grammatical errors in their personal ads and dating profiles! :D Take or it or leave it; it is National Good Grammar Day.

And in honor of what probably should be every good English teacher's favorite holiday, (even though I have bad grammar in my blogs because it tends to be stream of conciousness), I will tell you all that I solved a long standing family argument a few days ago. One of my students said she constantly argues with her mom as to whether "nuther" is a word. She said her mom will say, "There is nuther basket of laundry for you to fold," and she will tell her mom nuther is not a word, it is another. And her mom will say, "No it's not, you don't say, 'here is "a" another basket of laundry for you to fold!'" And so they argue..... She came to me to settle the arugment: "Ms. Baker, is "nuther" a word?" :D My 11th grader really wasn't sure...esp. since we are reading Huckleberry Finn, and he says "nuther" all the time, which shook her faith in the belief that "nuther" is not a word.

Too funny.

1 comment:

Missy said...

That's funny...only in places like Paysen and Delta would somebody think that "nuther" is a word!