Saturday, September 24, 2011

For more details please inquire within


(pardon the inside thoughts)

"We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity." - Margaret D. Nadauld

I love this quote, I agree with it, it inspires me, it does, but when I go to an event like I did last night [a fashion event] where the beautiful women of the world were everywhere and were showing it off, I felt very small and very modest and very unimportant and very uninteresting.

I know I'm not supposed to feel that way. I know I should be thankful I have all of my body parts and I'm healthy, but it made me feel outnumbered. We may have enough of the fortunate and beautiful and need more of the modest and virutous but it can feel scary to stand up against that.

I believe I am beautiful on the inside, and so I ask people to inquire within and forgive my without, but it's kind of an intimidating world out there. Especially when I feel so inadequate without.

5 comments:

Relaxed Cat said...

That prose was downright poetic and so lovely in content, too. You're amazing.

Missy said...

E- you are a priceless jewel and an incredible woman, that this "without" looks up to.

JMadd said...

I love how Sis. Beck said in her talk last night that women are the "head" and not the "tail." I forget who she was quoting. Anyway, we do feel like crap when we see women shaking their money makers all over the place. But just remember this: you have a money maker, too. It's just too precious to shake in front of everyone.

Scully said...

Frankly, just because you don't currently match the very limited current social definition of what is "beautiful" (which anymore is a synonym for sexy, which is all sorts of wrong, but I digress) does not mean you are not as beautiful without as you are within. Every era has their definition of what is 'beautiful' and it is never consistent. Don't sell yourself short by using the contemporary Western world's system of valuation for the without. Plus, you've got those wanton eyes working for you! ; )

WalkConkies said...

Just think about how these girls will look in 50 years when gravity sets in, and it will make you feel a lot better - actually you'd probably win the beauty contest then b/c you'll feel good on the inside and that makes you live a healthy, happy lifestyle that keeps you young ;0). I think you are beautiful, inside and out, and unlike those beautiful models, you can inspire rather than create self-doubt in all around you - like you do everyday for your friends, family, and students!!!