Sunday, September 18, 2011

I Hear Voices...


I hear voices all the time. So says Chris Young in his hit country song. He hears the voices of his father, mother, grandmother and grandfather, various people from his life that have planted little messages in his mind.

I hear voices all the time too. Usually my own voice in the form of self-talk. And well, who doesn't talk to themself?

Therapists tell people to examine their negative self-talk and change the way they talk to themselves. Apparently this is a great way to assert change. Happiness experts say to leave little notes for yourself on your mirror, change your computer passwords to little happy messages, and even to look in the mirror and give yourself 2-thumbs-up every morning.

As someone with a spinning, non-stop brain, I've really learned to listen to myself and the way I talk about myself to myself. Gretchen Rubin says to "Examine Your True Rules," the definitives you tell yourself about life, and challenge them.

I do have a few negative tracks in my mind I work on, but who doesn't. However, in the spirit of positivity here are the True Rules of my life, the positive ones:

My True Rules

*you can complain about it, or you can work on it*

*people generally don't need to be reminded of what they are doing wrong, they already know*

*no one can make you happy, but yourself*

*the greatest wisdom is kindness*

*that's life!*

*act like you do it everyday, and no one will know the diffrence*

*if they don't know what they did right, how will they know to do it again?*

This one is from my dad; it changed my teenage world: *if it's bothering you, it probably isn't bothering them.*

And lastly, when I'm making a decision about an activity or I am having a conversation or interaction or relationship moment that I'm unsure about I always stop and ask myself: how am I feeling, right now? If I feel good: proceed. If I feel funny: stop and re-examine.

Now that you know my personal soundtrack, what do the voices in your head say?

3 comments:

Missy said...

I love the thumbs up idea. That one made me chuckle, but I bet it works! Thanks for the good reminder about how the things going on in our heads really do form our actions and progress. I love the quote about knowing our self talk and challenging that, specifically towards negative ideas/banter. ;) So here's to better thoughts and brighter futures! ;)

JMadd said...

I have to second the "if it bothers you, it probably doesn't bother them" thing. My dad didn't put it exactly like that, but close. And that helped me get through being the self-conscious teenager that I was. I still like to point out what others are doing wrong. I feel good about that.

Unknown said...

The one I used yesterday repeatedly was: people generally do not need to reminded of what htey are doing wrong...

This morning I kept telling myself: If it's bothering you, it probably isn't bothering them!

I promise these run through my mind all the time!!!