Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Flea Market Finds


I could lie about it, but I won't. I love a good antique store or flea market. I like to bargain hunt; it flows through my veins, it runs down my maternal line.

In fact one of my earliest memories is being 4 years old and garage-sailing with my mom and sister and grandmother on a hot, Kentucky July day. The kind of day that melts ho-hos in the back of a VW Rabbit, and sweat glues your sleevless jumper to your sticky body.

My memory and desire were triggered last week as a travelling flea market came to town.

On my way to work I saw it, an old pioneer era house, yard full of junk, or treasure, as it were. I saw it and knew exactly where I would be at 3:00 pm when contract time was over.

I didn't have to look very long, there is was, a Florentine oil painting, chipped frame, sitting in the back of a red Radio Flyer wagon with a $2 masking-tape-price-tag.

I bought it. The lady at the cash box gave me a quizzical look, regardless it now hangs proudly above my chest of drawers.

I love it.

5 comments:

Katrina said...

Can I be the first to say great find! The picture is great, and I love the afagan. Grandma would be proud of you! Fun times, wish I could have been there with you.

Missy said...

I love it! Great find!

Reece and Caitlin said...

Oh man we love going to places I that too! I think we went to the biggest antique mall I have ever seen in Ohio this summer....it was HUGE!!!!!!

WalkConkies said...

We are definitely related :)! I've been craving yard sales all summer - if I only had an extra hour to spare!

Missy said...

That is the one thing I have missed this crazy busy summer was yard/garage/estate sales! Nice find for sure!