Friday, September 09, 2011

Gold Star Please


When we expect praise and don't get it, we are unhappy. So says Gretchen Rubin in The Happiness Project. But she didn't need to tell me that, it's not a new idea. And the idea wasn't invented by her. But it did get me thinking. Again.

I try to make intrinsic motivation my motivation for working hard and I don't expect to be praised for what I do. But true to human nature, I love it when I do get praise. It feels good to be recognized. It feels good to get a gold star. It makes me want to work harder.

Last week I was recognized in an article published online and in the local paper and it felt really good. I didn't expect it. I had no idea it was coming. And I think it was sweeter because I didn't.

"It has been my privilege to be associated with ------- for the past several years. I have watched her grow into an excellent teacher. She has the students best interestes in mind at all times and works on their behalf every day.... ------- is a dynamic individual that makes everyone around her better because of her positive, always happy personality." (So says my principal).

I guess I'm asking for praise by even posting this right? But that is not what I really wanted to do.

What I really wanted to do was say that I was reminded of why I think giving praise is so important. If I like it, so does everybody else. If there is something good to say - say it. I have found that encouraging through noticing the good helps motivate better than almost any other method I have found.

So if you deal with people, and most of us do, praise away.

8 comments:

Relaxed Cat said...

xoxo

Missy said...

So true. I need to praise my kids more too since I'm around them the most. Congrats on the article!

Reece and Caitlin said...

Coolest redheaded sister ever!

Katrina said...

It was fun to read the article! Those lucky students that get to be in your classes.Payson High School is lucky to have you!

Katie said...

YAY! Good for you! And I agree--praise is the best (giving it and receiving it).

Rena Lesué said...

um...as a writer, I can't help but be a "praise-slut". But it's important to give more than you receive, as a rule of thumb.

On that note, I think you are a hard-working, dedicated teacher who manages to look gorgeous and fit all the while. You kick butt. And you deserved that published praise from the paper too.

WalkConkies said...

So so true. The world would be a much better place if we all lived by that one simple rule!

Missy said...

Very cool! I am going to make that my goal today, praise over scolding...look for the good!