Sunday, October 02, 2011

Gone With The Wind: I'll Never Finish You!


As part of my goal to pursue the passion of reading and being well read, I made a few reading goals this year, and have accomplished them. Here is what I have been reading with various degrees of adoration, like, nuetrality, dislike, and disgust:

Read 5 Books on the BBC Best Books list:
1- Atonement - Ian McEwan
2- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
3- Good Night, Mr. Tom - Michelle Magorian
4- Matilda - Roald Dahl
5- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglass Adams

Read 5 Books on the AP Book list:
1- Capitan Corelli's Mandolin - Louis de Berienes
2- Madam Bovary - Gustav Flaubert
3- Medea - Sophocles
4- Much Ado About Nothing - William Shakespeare
5- Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut


Read one "church" book:

1- However Long and Hard the Road - Elder Jeffery R. Holland

Read one of the books of The Book of Mormon in Espanol:

1- Ether

Dabble in Non-Fiction:

1- Enrique's Journey - Sonia Nariza
2- I am Narjood, Age 10 and Divorced - Narjood
3- Burned Alive - Saoud
4- The Happiness Project - Gretchen Rubin
5- The Geography of Bliss - Eric Weiner

Read one Adolescent Lit Series:
1- Fablehaven - Brandon Mull

But my biggest reading struggle of the year? GONE WITH THE WIND. Scarlett O'Hara is a narcissist and I don't want to hear one more time how lovely her plump arms are, or her tiny waist. The fact of the matter is I started this book in June and it's October and I'm still only about 3/4 of the way through. And yes, I am one of those strange beings who have to finish a book once I have started.

Anyway - provided I ever finish Gone with the Wind, what should I read next?

8 comments:

JMadd said...

Hev you heard anything about "Gilead?" I've heard awesome things about it, so I think that will be my next one.

Reece and Caitlin said...

Ether is a random book to read in spanish...what made you choose that one?

Relaxed Cat said...

JMadd~ Gilead is a slow, savory, gorgeous feast.

Esp~ Watching you pretend to be Scarlet admiring her plump arms is hysterical. This post reminded me of it, and I hope you're reading the book for a long time so I can see more Scarlet dramatizations.

Reece and Caitlin said...

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is so funny...I liked that one. I keep trying to get Reece to read it!

Katrina said...

You are amazing! I just bought the Happiness Project and I am also reading Geography of Bliss. Finish that book! Then your mind will be able to rest from Scarlet!

WalkConkies said...

You'll have to give a review on all those books! I have some good children's books I could let you borrow :) and I actually picked up the sequel to gone w/ the wind at a yard sale - just in case you can't get enough of scarlet in the original book - although I don't think it is the same author - so it is probably much worse :). I did love Gilead and own a copy if you want to read it. I am loving 1776 and I really enjoyed reading The Help earlier this year if you haven't read it. I haven't seen the movie - maybe you have?

Inna said...

helo, you may like my blog I love this theme too http://literalcoffehouse.blogspot.com/search/label/Gone%20with%20the%20wind

Duludes said...

I too read the Help but I wasn't as impressed by it as everyone else seems to be. Since the Help I have read These is my Words. The diary of Sarah Pine and I really liked it.