Wednesday, September 19, 2007

What is this the jungle?


I am being strong armed into the teacher's union! I do not want to join! I feel like I am in an Upton Sinclair novel, or in the middle of some other early 1900's story, where people are forced to join unions or die~. I know, I know, I should be responsible and join like every other teacher in Utah, not open myself up to harrassment and ostracisim from co-workers. The thing is, I don't want to spend $600 dollars a year right now on union dues. And I really, am bugged by the fact that the PHS representative of the union is my old bishop. Okay, sic my old bishop of me please! Whatever happened to separation of church and state? Of course I will feel guilty and join the union if you send my former ecclesiastical leader! Well, I love the man, I really do, he is great man. But I just don't want to be guilt-ed into the teacher's union! I have avoided him since he left me another phone call about joining the union....I also don't want to feel the need to avoid a fellow teacher/old bishop either (which said emotion I am currently feeling). But I-Do-Not-Want-To-Join! And it is my right not too!

7 comments:

Katie said...

DON'T DO IT!!! I'm not joining mine! I feel lucky. Since I'm a traveling teacher, I don't think they've been able to find me to try and harass me. At least, not yet. I am scared though, I've heard stories.

Relaxed Cat said...

Good for you! Stay strong! I didn't join either - well, I did at first because they told me I had no choice. Then I found out otherwise - sent them a letter and demanded my money back. Those teacher reps are so pushy about it. They do everything they can to make you feel like you'll be the downfall of them all if you don't join (school's have to have a certain percentage of teacher membership to qualify, everyone else is pulling their weight, why aren't you, etc.) grrr.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the support! And I just think it is wrong that its my old bishop harrassing me about it! Seriously, $600 a year? From EVERY teacher? Why don't they let us keep our pay rather than use our pay to try to raise our pay? Hmm. I have issues :)

Joy said...

Don't do it. If you don't want to, don't. Even if he's pressuring you, that's lame he is.

Missy said...

Always follow your instincts! Besides I am with you on he gross amount of $600!!!

Unknown said...

If it was even one time of $600 maybe. But $600 a year.

Steve said...

$600 is a lot. I'm in my union at work and it only comes out to $200 or so a year.
Aside from the cost, unions are good, especially for teachers. It's pretty much the only way for them to fight together to demand better pay, supplies, conditions, etc. W/o the teacher unions, things would be much, much worse for you and your students.