Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The American Dream?


"An American Dream is something little. It is a dream that anybody can dream. It's something that happens at night when you are sleeping most of the time. It's when you dream about something American. I don't know what but something like that. You can even day dream about it. In fact that's what most people do in an American Dream. You do it in American of course. But ya, that's it what I think what an American Dream is."


I gave an assignment on the American Dream, and that response was so funny I laughed out loud. She is a conscientious student, but apparently has no clue. LOL! I also really liked the one below, and though I would share!


"I would say the American Dream is to graduate college, get a degree, have a family, and also to own a home and car. And not have to pay any more for them. Oh and to go to the mall and have a Paris Hilton shopping spree. And have no speed limits. You wouldn't get fat of off fast food. Well just to be able to eat what ever you want."


This one however, was really touching:


"It's what many immigrants think about when they come to the USA, I know because I am an immigrant; my dad told me he would hear the term all over his town "El Sueno Americano" in Mexico. Some of them achieved that just like my dad because my dad is way much better now than he was when he came here illegally. He is now a citizen and he made my whole family citizens. He says that in Mexico we would probably be really poor and I think that's true. So the American dream is freedom and being better than in the country you were in before."


I learned so much about each one of my students and our modern American culture from reading 150 of these! I hope you enjoyed stepping into the minds of my high school students!

7 comments:

Missy said...

I loved these!

Katie said...

OH! I love it! I will probably be using that same question as a journal topic when we start reading The Great Gatsby. Don't you love the variety of responses you get in a single class? Things have been crazy busy with school starting, but for the most part I really like it! Some days I wonder what in the heck I was thinking, but then I'll have a good day to make up for it.

Scully said...

Please inform your students that we not speak "American", but rather American ENGLISH. Yikes. Also, Hee and Aww.

Scully said...

Looks like I can't write in American English. I meant "we do not speak" rather than "we not speak". I wish comments could be edited, instead of leaving our typos for all to see.

Unknown said...

Scully,LOL. I don't care about typos and I miss spell something on the board at least once every two weeks, so all is well!

Katie, the good days do make up for it, and you know what, year 2 is sooo much easier than year 1. I know that is what everyone says, but its true!'

Panini said...

ugh! 150! geez -
we did that topic on the first day of class last year - and I'm never assigning it again. right under the list of "things I'm sick to death of reading" ;)

Unknown said...

Yeah, well, I read 150 of everything I assign, so....LOL! The life of a high school English teacher! I enjoy it though~