Tuesday, August 07, 2007

I Confess, I Liked It.




Whatever might be said about this book being a romance novel in thin disquise--it's true. And the thing is, I have to like it anyway! It is a little bit over the top at times, but I have to hand it to the author--she has made a successful set of books! And, well, it's totally "escape" fiction, and relationship-placebo. I swear I am falling in love with the vampire at the same time the narrator is! Her mixture works, so that every woman who has ever felt "ordinary" before can imagine what it feels like to have a devistatingly handsome man choose her above all other women, and mean it. Every woman wants to be made to feel that way, by a devistatingly handsome man, or not, that there is someone who absolutely cannot stay away from her, and well, it works, it just does. So, if the plot is a little thin as well, I'm still in it for the way she hits that teenage-girl-fantasy that lives inside of each of us.

p.s. The real reason I picked up the novel in the first place is, that it is taking high school girls by storm (actually older women too) and I promised my students I would read it this summer, as well as we were all told in teacher training this week it wouldn't hurt us to be up and up on what all of our students are reading, this and Harry Potter! :)

10 comments:

Joy said...

Speaking of Vampires, I just read "The Historian." Great beach book.

Missy said...

Your like the 10th person I've heard of that's read this book and the 3rd one to blog about it! I've gotta jump on the bandwagon!

Unknown said...

Sherpa, I have read the Historian and loved it too! Missy, you need to read it, if nothing more than just to see what all of the buzz is about!

Scully said...

Ditto, E. Plus, I have a love/hate obssession with vampires anyway, so I found the book enjoyable. I haven't read the second one yet, but I'm sure I'll get to it eventually. Although by that point I might be ready to scream "JUST MAKE HER A VAMPIRE ALREADY!"

Unknown said...

Agreed, Scully! Only, is that what we want to have happen? I'm also wondering, how there can possibly be enough plot for 2 more books.... But again, fun read to feel a little bit girlishy romantic!

Panini said...

oh . . . sad - it took you in????? that? please say no!!! I definitely could never put myself through the torture of another 2 of her books. I saw that she has a forum out to answer 'aspiring writers' questions - and I snorted.
Of course everyone's entitled to their own escapist preferences. (and the only reason that OLD MAN vampire lusted after the dumb girl was because she was hard-to-get or "read" - whatever. Otherwise he'd would never have found her plainness appealing.)

Unknown said...

Ha ha ha ha ha. Yep! It took me in! And hey, even if it isn't the most amazing writing on earth, props to someone who can have 3 NY TIMES Bestsellers before she is 35!

Panini said...

Maybe we could give it a shot ourselves - but can we change our names for publication? I'm sure we could come up with some just a sappy with a few more interesting twists - wanna take a go? :)

Treat Queen said...

Totally escape fiction and relationship placebo

Unknown said...

Okay, but the second one is seriously a page turner and even better than the first one. I was doubting her genius for turning over female minds, but New Moon is really really good.