Monday, April 30, 2012

Machu Picchu

Machu Picchu is one of the most amazing, if not the most amazing sight I have ever seen. If it were just the Inca ruins it would be enough, but they are perched up on top of the high, jungle ridden Andes mountains. You would never know a city was up above the cloud cover in the mountains and because of that the Spanish didn't find Machu Picchu when they conquered Peru.


This picure is attempting to show the steepness of the city and the height of the mountains surrounding the ruins.


I love this shot. I'm pretty proud of it! The mountain peak behind the ruins is Waynu Picchu.

This is a view of the terrace farming.


We spent the whole day from 5:30 in the morning until 5:00 at night hiking around the ruins and then up to Waynu Picchu the peak behind the city and then up to the Sungate, a peak up around the otherside. Luckily none of us got altitude sickness, but I am slightly scared of heights, so the top of Waynu Picchu scared me to death.

This is the view down into Machu Picchu from the top of Waynu Picchu.



Just happy to be there!



Our whole group at Machu Picchu.

There is no way to really capture these mountains, but part of what makes them so beautiful are the deep gorges or valleys between the mountains.


Definitly a place to see before you die if you have the opportunity!

4 comments:

Missy said...

Can I say WOW? That place is amazing! LOVE the pictures you took! Breathtaking! I do want tO go there before I die.

Missy Anne @ Wonder Lane Art said...

Immediately putting this on the bucket list! Amazing. I also agree with you. It looks like a city built on the diving platform of the mountains...whew. Gave me butterflies in my stomach just to see it!

WalkConkies said...

That is absolutely amazing - and you should be very proud of that shot!!! Makes my bucket list too. Maybe our next high school friends reunion :0) - in our dreams anyway! Thanks for sharing!

Relaxed Cat said...

Thanks for the first hand. Sorry it's taking me so long to catch up on blogs. Just found 998 in the reel I was avoiding ... think I'm going to be forced to delete. Fab pics. Fab story. Amazing place.