Sunday, May 06, 2012

Disappointed but not Discouraged

I have been reading Daughters in My Kingdom, and have rejoiced over and over again these last few weeks this quote from sister Julie B. Beck, fifteenth Relief Society General President of  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints:

The ability to qualify for, receive, and act on personal revelation is the single most important skill that can be acquired in this life....It requires a conscious effort to diminish distractions, but having the spirit of revelation makes it possible to prevail over opposition and persist in faith through difficult days and essential routine tasks....When we have done our very best, we may still experience disappointments, but we will not be disappointed in ourselves. We can feel certain that the Lord is pleased when we feel the Spirit working through us. -Julie B. Beck
 I love this quote - it expresses exactly how I have been feeling lately. I have experienced a lot of disappointment in my life, particularly the sting of unfulfilled righteous desires and dreams. I have trudged through the daily routines of life, but have felt very blessed to feel the peace and joy and daily happiness of understanding that setbacks are not reasons I need to feel disappointed in myself. I rejoice in the assurance that the Lord is looking out for, watching over, and daily blessing me. I have felt guided in my life's path; knowing that what I am doing is the Lord's current plan for me. Knowing this reminds me to look up and look forward, and to be grateful for all that I have received.

2 comments:

WalkConkies said...

Love the quote and your fulfillment of it!

Missy said...

Daughters in My Kingdom is such a good resource! Thanks for sharing this jewel of a nugget and of course your incredible faith that has always been in you!