Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Honeymoon Period



for teaching is over. But I still love it, and have determined if I were to need to do this for the rest of my life I absolutely could, and I would enjoy it. Here are the reasons I still love teaching after three years:

1- I pray to.

2- I have learned to be determined to enjoy it. Happiness in one's situation is often a choice.

3- I have leanred that when things seem the hardest, that is when you put in more effort and you are promptly rewarded. Things you put a lot of work into are rewarding.

4- Do the little fun things that seem like an annoyance, but make your job interesting. I say yes to crazy spirit assemblies, to judging the FFA, to writing recommendations and seeing school plays. These are the memorable things that make for quirky memories and halarious experiences.

5- I enjoy the kids, I really, really do.

6- Find joy in the little successes; when an F student becomes a D- student, when a "bad kid" loves your class and adds back into it. When you are that crazy student's favorite teacher, when you have the opportunity to show a little compassion by listening, and you do it.

7-Play as hard as you work.

These are the reasons I love teaching, even now that the gloss and glitter has worn off. What is underneath is a little more tattered, but a lot more loved.

5 comments:

Relaxed Cat said...

beautiful closing line.
it's nice you're determined to make it work.

WalkConkies said...

Love your ideas - especially that happiness in one's situation is often a choice and the fact that when you put extra effort into something, it is more rewarding.
I know it sure is that way with marriage and church callings as well as life as a whole! You've inspired me to go clean!

Missy said...

I couldn't agree more! Number 1 and number 7 are my favorites because without either of those I am sure I would go crazy in my own life.

Scully said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a great day today!

Katie said...

I love it. I have had some similar reflections on my year two experience the last couple of days.