Thursday, December 18, 2008

Newspaper Disaster

So---a girl I have been having problems with all year slipped a really bad swear word into the newspaper this month and the administration are really really mad. By 9:40 a.m. they had already received two parent phone calls. Our paper came out at 9:00 a.m.

She also changed the words in one of the other girl's articles to call someone a "ho" in it, and that girl is livid because it makes her look bad and her friends have already been like wow, I didn't know you talked that way--.

How did this all happen under my tuteledge? Well, on Saturday morning I was at school helping my layout editor put the finishing touch on the paper. THe other girl, the said troublemaking girl, stayed a little longer to finish her funny page. AFter an hour I asked her if she was done yet, and walked over to the computer. She had completely rearranged the whole paper saying I hope(the girl who put together the rest of the paper)doesn't mind! She did mind, a lot. Needless to say at that point all I could do was have her clean up her mess--little did I know she would make more of a mess by deleting an article I needed in the paper, changing words in another article and slipping in a bad, bad word.

Argh.

10 comments:

JMadd said...

WOW! I think she doesn't need to be on the staff anymore. And, an article about her debauchery should be included in the next issue.

Relaxed Cat said...

that is a disaster!! i agree with jennifer. i'm so sorry! what a mess! is this the same girl who slipped in those other papers about the emo kids awhile back?

Katie said...

Ewww!!! Please tell me classes switch for you at semester and you don't have to deal with this chica all year!

Scully said...

Sounds like she has lost the privilege of being on the newspaper. I really, really hope that she has some consequences for this.

Unknown said...

I'm trying to decide what the punishment should be--I am realizing I need to be meaner than I am, a stronger disciplinarian than I am, but I couldn't have forseen this one I think.

Relaxed Cat said...

It's not mean to teach teens that there are consequences to their actions. She used bad judgment, and she KNEW it was bad. It would be a huge disservice to her to let her get away with it. Not to mention the message you'd be sending to other students. Imagine what kind of a horror she'll be as an adult if she continues to get the message that she can do whatever she wants, run people over, have free reign without consequence . . . She should be OFF the staff, writing essays on worms and the other amoeba she resembles to turn into you every time everyone else has a real newspaper story due, but she should NEVER have a hand in the paper again. Want me to tell her? :)

Missy said...

Not a good day for sure! Oh my. Maybe there should be a note of public apology from her and then loss of ever being near a newspaper again. This was a serious cry for some boundaries, lots and lots of them.

JMadd said...

I agree with Cami. She needs to know there are consequences to her actions... especially if she's pulled this kind of crap before.

Michelle said...

What a stressful thing to have happen. Hopefully the principal is on your side? Maybe he/she can help with the disciplining part???

Scully said...

I agree with Cami and Aquamarine. Not to tell you how to do your job or anything, but a written apology in the newspaper would not be out of place.