Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I am not old enough to...

Date your dad.
I am old enough to live in a house
to have a credit card
to run a successful savings account
have two college degrees
to buy what I want when I want to
to fly over the ocean by myself
to have a grown-up job
to have a cell phone
to buy my own new car
to have a fake Christmas tree
to own couches
to wear dark eyeliner
to wear lipstick to the gym.
I am old enough to date your brother,
your uncle, your cousin,
BUT NOT YOUR DAD.
I don't care if he thought I was cute at
Parent Teacher Conferences.
I am not old enough to date your date,
or inherit you as 17 year old son.
And despite what my mother says,
I don't think I'm old enough to date at 38 year old.

7 comments:

Scully said...

Hee! That is both awkward AND uncomfortable. And it all depends on who the 38 year-old is.

Relaxed Cat said...

i dated a 38 year old a few years ago, and thought it was very fun!

WalkConkies said...

That is quite the compliment, if nothing else, that your students love you sooo much! Who could blame him?!?

JMadd said...

Rob is 38. At first, the age difference freaked me out but I'm so over it now. Maybe I wouldn't be over it if he had a 17 year old kid.

Did you buy a new car?

Relaxed Cat said...

i think we've all ruled against you in favor of older men and adoring students :D

Missy said...

OH my! lol The 38 doesn't bother me as much as having a 17 year old for a son!

Unknown said...

He asked about me again...I told the kid I thought his dad was nice, but seriously, a little cowboy that is way older than me is not what I am looking for! But thanks guys for the support. It was super-awkward!