Tuesday, November 11, 2008

HSM3--That's Right, I saw it.


It's this generation's Grease, and Footloose, and Clueless; the high school movie that informs all high schoolers what their life should be like. There are slutty girls, show-hogs, nice girls, dorky-guys, hot-guys, and ballers. I'm just glad this one is relatively clean. You've got to hand it to Disney! They made a lot of money on this film-trio, and will continue to.

I saw the first HSM just six months ago, never saw the second one, and only skeptically paid $8 (I know, I know!) just last weekend to see HSM3. And I admit it--I enjoyed it. You just can't help it, at least I couldn't. The music is good, the male lead is embarrasingly attractive (at least he is 21!) and you get swept away--at least with laughter at the silly situation of sitting in a theater with only 5 guys in it, and the rest girls--giggle when Zac Effron come on the set. All I have to say is, I know it is cheezy--but if it has to be this generation's high school hit--atleast it is clean!

Over-the-top moment: The end where at graduation they all sing how they wish the rest of their lives will be like a high school musical...lame.

Best-music-moment: Zac Effron and Corbin Bleu singing "The Boys are Back."

Most-redemptive-moment: When the scholarships actually go to the people that deserve it.

Overall impression: I am far enough removed from my own high school experience that I wasn't offended or sensetive about any of the "hits-home" moments, and I am close enough to high school everyday, that I was absurdly touched by moments like this: Once a wildcat, always a wildcat, and I could hear my students say: Once a lion, always a lion.

Recommendation: even if you don't want to pay $8, Netflix it at least, it is some good-clean-fun!

1 comment:

JMadd said...

OK, I'm going to show my age. I don't know what a show-hog is. I don't know what a baller is either. My high school was like Clueless - we had skaters, druggies, nerds, hippies, surfers, jocks, and then everyone else.

P.S. I'm totally going to see HSM3.