Monday, October 20, 2008

Put your foot down.


I hate confrontation, and I pride myself on being fairly adaptable, and so often I make do with a situation without fixing it. I know this is masking itself as a good trait, but really I am having to learn to put my foot down. Sometimes if you don't put your foot down, the other person has no idea you have a problem. And no one has Experanza ESP, often not even me!

I finally had to go in to the administration at my school and demand, in fact tell them, "I'm at the end of my rope on this one," about a computer problem in my room. I had asked nicely on several occasions for the problem to please be fixed, (it has to do with the functionability of my journalism computers and hence our ability to put out a good newspaper), and it was never fixed! I sent e-mails, and in a smile-y matter discussed on a number of occasions. But I finally had to say, it is the middle of October, fix-it-for-me-now. I couldn't do the confrontation thing without a million, "I'm sorry for complaining about this...." type phrases, but it got the job done.

This morning an administration came in and fixed the problem and said I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was such a big deal, I thought you were making due, you never really complained about it. Hmph. Well, at least it is fixed, and I am learning to put my foot down, although the graceful part of that will have to come later. I should fiqure out a way to complain nicely before I am at the end of my rope!

3 comments:

Missy said...

I have a hard time with that too...but you have to do it sometimes!!

Missy said...

Something I also let go to long! But I am glad that you were able to get everything back to order.

Relaxed Cat said...

good on ya for being assertive! what did you think of the book 'eat,pray,love?' how about a little book review...i keep thinking about getting it. but I literally have one entire stuffed shelf of books that i've bought and haven't read (with books lying on top of the row!) . . . so it'd have to be good :)