Monday, April 21, 2008

Things Fall Apart



Despite the fact that things fall apart when I am not around, I do not regret leaving my kids and going to Italy! I know I am not their mom, but sometimes I feel like one--a mom of 150 kids who say Ms. E, Ms. E, Ms. E, ALL DAY LONG. I think that anyone who takes care of kids, or anyone for that matter needs to get away sometimes from their life, take a vacation and remind themselves that they have an identity that is separate ,or in addition to, their work identity!

I was greeted this morning at 7:30 a.m. with "The week you were gone was the worst week of my life!" from one of my favorite male students. Well, I got a pretty good idea from the substitute that it was one of the worst weeks of her life too! :) Of course the honors class was perfect, and the others were---not.

I slipped into my classroom a few days ago to view the destruction. I was at first mad, and then was like who cares! Don't cry over over spilled milk! The kids will recover--because although teaching is a large part of my life--my particular class is only a small part of their life. And you know, today wasn't too bad.

It sadly, actually kind of stokes up your ego a bit to hear kids soooo glad you are back, and they just can't work without you! So even though they were bad, lazy, and unproductive while I was gone, what can you do? Their grades will go down a little because of it, but I am going to be nice and give them some time in class to get a few things done in the name of "damage control."

GO on vacation. It's worth it. Your life can wait.

3 comments:

JMadd said...

I read an article last night about how Americans feel guilty about taking vacations... your experience is a perfect example of why. How is it that the Euros just don't care what happens while they're gone?

Missy said...

I hear you!! Vacation is on my mind all the time. With spring break around the corner we take our first vacation in a long time! Yeah, a whole week and a half of goofing off. :)

Katie said...

It's true. Even though I SO sympathize with subs, it's kind of nice to hear about how much students missed you when you were gone. I'm glad you left them for a week! GO YOU! I relate with feeling like they're "your" kids. That's totally how it feels. I feel guilty for leaving them, too.