Monday, April 14, 2008

Tell Me I'm Beautiful and I just Might Fall into your Arms.


It's true--what they say about Italian men. They are forward, and it's refreshing. I had heard it would happen, and it did: I have been starred at all day long, and told I am beautiful on an almost more than twice daily basis for the last 10 days in Italy.

I only felt sexually harrassed on two occasions. All of the rest of the time I just felt admired. I'm not saying I wish American men were like that, and if I lived in Italy, I would be ticked if my husband were checking out every woman on the street! But it made me feel like a woman--. It made me feel beautiful. One of the women I was travelling with was one of my former young women's leaders and she said it was fun to watch me walk down the streets, there was just something about me those men liked! Probably the red hair because I was the only natural red head I saw in my entire stay. I'm not saying it to proclaim that I think I am beautfiul, because I really don't think there is anything particualrly special about me, I am just saying it because it made me think.

One of the people I was travelling with has been to Italy on several occasions and on one occassion she met a man who told her that he didn't like American women. He said Italian women (who I might add are ridiculsouly beautiful) even if they are 50 lbs. overweight walk around like they own the place, confident. He said he doesn't like American women because they beleive if they are not the most beautiful woman in teh room they have nothing to offer. He doesn't understand that about Americans, he said every woman has something beautiful to offer, and Italian women believe that--and that is partially what makes them attractive.

And to the men-folk , I would just like to say--try it. Not every woman would admit it, but we all like to be told we are beautiful. There is some truth in the saying that "women love with their ears," because in a sense we do. There are lots of languages of love, but we are inclined to buckle when a man lets us know in no uncertain terms that he finds us attractive. And American women are trained to beleive is she doesn't currently have a significant other, it just might mean no man finds her attracitve--which I beleive has to be grossly untrue. So women, let's act beautiful, because we are, and men, tell us we are beautiful, and we just might wind up in your arms! :)

6 comments:

Scully said...

Love the post! Self-confidence is something I think we could all a bit more of. I can't wait to see the pictures!

Relaxed Cat said...

his analysis about american vs. italian women is so cool! and you are uncommonly beautiful - glad you got appreciated! :)

JMadd said...

Maybe I should move to Italy!

Missy said...

That's a great post! I'm sure no one will be looking at me in Italy when I go...I also think I'll be buying a huge fake ring when I go, cuz it would be weird! So true about wanting to hear it all the time. I tell Shawn I need to hear it more and he thinks he does...I guess I need to tell him I need to hear it all the time!
Where are the pics?

Katie said...

I can't wait to see photos from your trip. Love this post!

Kelly said...

Wow, those Italian men sound great and maybe a little creepy too. Glad you had fun! I want to see pictures too!