Monday, February 04, 2008

It's Sweethearts Time Again!


It is time for Sweethearts! Bring back any memories? Who did I go to Sweethearts with in high school...Jared Roylance, John Galbraith, and I want to say Jason Little? But I can't remember if that was Homecoming or Sweethearts. Anyway! Here at my high school it is a girl's choice formal dance, and oh, the memories! I have several students going together and of course one girl who asked a boy in her same class pays *zero* attention to her after she asked him. Of course one girl asked one boy who used to be in our class and she is sooo anxious because he hasn't answered her yet and it has been 3 days! Maybe he didn't notice his name on the hearts plastered all over his truck? Of course one girl wants to ask another of my students who I kindly said, "there are better eggs in the batch than him!" Two of my students tried to get me to help them ask one of my other students to the dance and I was like no way! Am I going to be caught/seen plastering decoration all over one of my students cars/lockers!Can you imagine the rumors?! Anyway, happy and AWKWARD memories of high school dances, esp. girl-ask-guy!

Why is it so awkward when girls ask guys out? I know society is saying it is okay, but it sure seems like guys, at least high school guys, sure respond weird to girls asking them out! I think when guys say they like being asked out, it is that they would like to be asked out by their dream girl who may or may not exist, and when it's not, it's awkward! I don't know though, I'm not a boy, just a teacher who is secretly laughing and mourning over my students dating-choices. LOL.

5 comments:

Missy said...

Just hearing the word Sweetheart made me cringe a little. I actually never asked any boy to one of those because at first I was too young, and then because I was too chicken. LOL Oh, the memories of yesteryear.

Katie said...

I think I'm glad the girl-ask-guy dances in ML were casual. I think it made it less awkward for some reason. I'm watching my students go through the same things you're describing right now. I have no desire to go back to those days!

Missy said...

stylish new blog, my dear!

Missy said...

Love your new blog! That picture with your shoes is cool too!
Sweethearts...I don't think I even went either. I bet it's amusing to watch those girls getting all drama on you! So fun! My sister asked a guy and just bought an Asian-style dress for it. Very cute!

Unknown said...

Okay, but can you believe my students wanted me to help them ask a guy?! Who does that?