Monday, February 18, 2008

Love Stories

I am Marianne Dashwood!


Take the Quiz here!


Not inspired by, but strangely coincidental with Scully's post on the fantasy love affairs in Austen novels, I wanted to post on a similar vein.

I have decided my favorite drug is reading! I had today off from school and I laid in bed for 5 hours (ridiculously starting at 6 a.m.) and finished Elizabeth Gaskell's Wives and Daughters, (thanks to for Scully for the Christmas present!)I read the last 250-ish pages this morning and finished with a feeling of contentment about life that I have not experienced in weeks. It has been a hard couple of weeks, and the secular-solution was reading a good love story. Somehow, when I read a good love story I feel like everything in life is wonderful, and that a million possibilites lay before me. And it must have worked, at least to some extent already because I talked to a cute guy after FHE for 20 minutes! Ha ha. Alas, it may just be the total relaxation into a world other than my own, but I love to read a good love story, be it Twilight, anything Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters, Gaskell, Hardy, Scott, whatever--it's my happy drug.

Too bad I can't spend every morning wrapped in warm blankets reading love stories!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I LOVE love stories!!! If I could do nothing all day and read a really good book that I am sucked into. . . that is heaven! Last week before my bday I did just that. I really liked this book and I think you will too. It is called "The Icing on the Cake" by Elodia Strain. You can find it at any church bookstore. Check it out, you'll love it! I am glad that you were able to have a break and just relax. Only a few more months to go and then it is summer!!!

Scully said...

Are you talking about Thomas Hardy? Because I've only read 'Jude the Obscure' and 'Tess of the d'Urbervilles' and neither of those were happy love stories. Does he have non-depressing works? Also, I think 'Wives and Daughters' is particularly satisfying because a)I have spent most of my life being the Molly in the equation and b) Mrs. Glaskell died before it was finished so you can kind of make up your own ending, no? Anyway, they are drugs and I for one am sad I have to go to work, since staying in bed finishing 'North & South' seems like a much better way to spend the day!

Unknown said...

:D Scully: I actually don't care if it is a happy love story or a sad one...you know I love tragic heroines! Hardy is always depressing, but some less than others, my favorite of his is The Return of the Native.

Kelly: I will have to check that book out, thanks for the suggestion, I've been wondering what to read next!

Missy said...

Wouldn't that be great if we could lay in bed every day and read? I also LOVE love stories and will have to check out the book Kelly recommends! But I can't believe you didn't even sleep in on your day off! You so crazy!

Missy said...

Thanks to Scully and your inspiring posts, I realized I haven't indulged in a really good love story book in f.o.r.e.v.e.r! LOL It is my mission tomorrow at the library to not come home without one!