Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Small Town Provincial


Elder Eyring told Moses Lake we could be a Zion people. Maybe not in this generation, but that we have the potential to be, he sensed that about us. Which I thought was cool. I've been running that around in my head since I have been home these last two weeks. Not that the following is the receipe for a city of Enoch, but there are plenty of wonderful things about my hometown.

1. Scully's mom's funeral. The stake center was full to the brim. The salt of the earth people I have known my whole life, and from various wards in our stake, all there to honor her mother, and attest to the wonderful woman she was. I know funerals aren't happy events, but it made me cry to see a gathering of such wonderful people, all of whom had been apart of not only Scully's family's life, but all our lives, so interwoven. It's gathering to comfort, and mourn, to weed gardens, make dinners, and just be there.

2. My old YW leader Brenda let my aunt who is sick in bed a lot borrow her BBC movie, North and South, my mom borrows it from her, watches it with my sister, waits unitl I come home, and I watch it until 2:00 a.m., we give it back to my cousin who watches it twice in a row with her mom and sister in law, and then somehow the DVD gets back into the right hands. Well, on our street, us women of various ages all think North and South has the hottest man in it, and that it rivals even Pride and Prejudice.

3. My dad borrowed a loader from a neighbor to hoist us up in front of the house to paint it, another neighbor borrowed our BBQ-er for the YM BBQ, my dad volunteered to haul cattle to a slaughter house for my first date's dad, and the list goes on. In two weeks, so many neighbors helping neighbors. We were out riding horses at our family reunion and one of their non-LDS neighbors came out with her horse because she noticed that we had too-many-kids, not-enough-horses.

And I'm enjoying laying on the couch and the lawn and reading good books. So far: Of Mice and Men, The Secret Life of Bees, The Chosen, and I'm part way through Eldest.

8 comments:

Scully said...

I orderd N&S from NetFlix and it should be here soon. I was going to invite you over for a marathon - are you up for watching it again?

Missy said...

Oh you make me so home sick. Of all the places I have lived, Moses Lake truly feels like home every time I visit. I feel so sorry to have missed Scully's Mom's funeral. What a genuine women so full of faith.

Panini said...

Oh how fun! And I still haven't seen North and South. And I love the book list . . . what a good time! And you're talking Elder Eyring from 12 years ago, right?

Unknown said...

Ummm, so I called your house and you don't seem to live there anymore. I want you to know you've thrown off my whole "stalk a teacher day"

Unknown said...

Elder Eyring from a few months ago, Yes, Scully, would love a marathon!!!!! The guy is soooo hot, SJ I did get a new number and we need to talk sometime! And Aqua, high school memories of all of us flood back every time I come home!

Panini said...

When was this that you got to hear Elder Eyring? He's your favorite! How fun! :)

Katie said...

You make me homesick. AND I LOVED The Secret Life of Bees...so fabulous! My husband loved Eldest, but I'm struggling to get through Eragon.

Unknown said...

Katie, I had to watch the movie of Eragon before I could read the book because it gave me a visual image of everything, otherwise I might not have been able to get into it either. But it's not for everyone! Not like Harry Potter....