Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Hopi Indians & The Inca

Interesting to me that while the Incas in Peru were doing this:
Machu Picchu, Peru

The Hopi in the Southwestern United States were doing this:


Mesa Verde, Colorado, USA
Apparently Mesa Verde and Macchu Picchu were contemporary structures and the Hopi/Ancestral Puebolans and Inca were contemporary native tribes! Fascinatingly enough - the oral tradition of the Hopi is that their people migrated up from Peru, through central America, up to Colorado area, led by the spirit of God. They stopped in Colorado because they felt that it was a sacred place. Interesting to see how the cultures connect.

Hopi, or Ancestral Puebloan dwellings at Cliff Palace, Mesa Verde
And interesting to see how the different tribes adapted to their climates. In Peru they were in the mountain tops, and at the same time the Puebloans were building their structures underneath cliffs.


Long House, Mesa Verde

Machu Picchu, Peru

So, would you rather be Incan, or Hopi?

3 comments:

WalkConkies said...

Well, from your pictures of Macchu Picchu, I think it would be hard for me to leave that! But, I like to think that if anything did make me leave such a beautiful place, it would be the spirit of God, and I guess scenery definitely isn't the only factor (if a factor at all) in happiness, so it is hard to say. But, I really would love to visit Macchu Picchu now, so next time you make a trip, leave some room in your suitcase for me!

Missy said...

Interesting! Love Mesa verde. Back when I went years ago, we were able to hike down in the ruins. Can you not do that anymore? I think it would be hard to leave the lush, green mountains of peru! Go incas!

Unknown said...

Oh! Wow!! Thanks for sharing this...As a true peruvian, I never knew this!!! Just stumbled across it as I saw a post of an artifact someone was selling as a hopi artifact and I was like wait!! That's Peruvian, but not only because I'm peruvian that I will never leave Peru also because it is a BEAUTIFUL and spiritual place!