Wednesday, March 04, 2009

My Budding Journalists


A few of my little budding journalists at the Deseret News Journalism Conference 2009

Just a little bragging moment about my journalism kids. We returned from a regional journalism conference/competition held at UVU last week and we took home five awards! We won best overall news column, 2nd place best (straight) news article, honorable mention best news article, 3rd place best sports story, and 2nd place best photographs! There were schools from all over Utah Valley--Tooele/Salt Lake down to Nephi attending the conference, so there was some tough competition!

When we attended the conference last year we only took home one award, and people were like "Where is Payson?" And this year we took home 5 awards and I tried my best to not squeal too loudly as they kept saying Payson, Payson, Payson over and over again! I'm so proud of my little journalists! We placed in all categories but 3!

Needless to say we didn't place in the layout or graphic categories because I don't know enough about computers to teach the kids about that kind of thing, but I am proud that we won awards for our writing. Part of what I love about teaching journalism is the opportunity I have to really workshop with these 12 kids about their writing. We tear apart and rebuild their writing (and try not to hurt their feelings) everyday--and looks like it paid off!

It was one of those little moments that reminded me that teaching is worth it and hard work pays off. Congrats to my crew!

And then today at our faculty meeting I was awarded the Yellow Jersey Award, an award that recongnizes hard work done by a faculty member the principal awards once a month. The prinipal wanted to recognize me for my work with the students in the journalism class and for all the work I do as the school PR person.

So, I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but it felt really good to be recongnized for my long hours of hard work with those kids! :D

13 comments:

Relaxed Cat said...

hooray! that's so exciting! :D (which of the girls is the one we all know and love?)

Unknown said...

Top, far right--.

Relaxed Cat said...

interesting. I thought it would top left girl. she doesn't look the way i expected. thought she looks hard to deal with. but maybe that's a projection. ;)

Unknown said...

They were posing--top left is one of my best girls and Sterling Scholar finalist for state actually! But yeah, if you knew the top right....

Relaxed Cat said...

that makes me laugh. :) i get it! the other one must be a pleasure to have in class. consider it your "opposition in all things", egh? ;)

Katie said...

GO YOU! That's awesome!

Michelle said...

You deserve all the recognition in the world! You are amazing, amazing, amazing! Toot that horn, girl!

Missy said...

Woo Hoo! I can only imagine what hard work that was to get those results! Great job!

I to am a bit surprised by the Scholar girl and the Sassy girl. They definitely don't fit their 'book covers' do they?

Scully said...

CONGRATULATIONS! You totally deserve it.

Duludes said...

Great Job. It is nice to be acknowledged for all are hard work every once in awhile. Way to put Payson on the map.

WalkConkies said...

You go girl!!! Those kids are so lucky! We still need to scrap - you could teach me a thing or two too!!!

Missy said...

Wow! That's so awesome! Good for you and your class!

The Gurrs said...

Congratulations beautiful Krystal! You are such a wonderful teacher!