Monday, March 16, 2009

I'm Not Special Ed

Thanks goodness, but it was a close call! Last week my visiting teachee gave me the 2 1/2 hour special education assessment. She is graduating this year with her MA in School Pshychology, and she needed to administer the test as practice. It was soooo long, but a really good experience for me as a regular education teacher. It really opened my eyes to how hard the test really is! It made me have empathy for my ELL students who are learning English! There was a section where they give you a word or phrase and then there are four pictures that represent very similar meanings, but you have to choose one that best fits the word or expression. If I didn't know English very well, I would have gotten every question in that section wrong! I can see why a lot of the Hispanic kids get evaluated for Special Education.

I also realized how much math I have forgotten! I am sure that I would be put in special ed math right now if this test was for real. I forgot how to do fractions....I know, I should not admit this! And I put pie as 2.14 instead of 3.14. I was getting test anxiety, started counting on my fingers, and mumbling....It was a hard test! I know I missed some of the math questions just because I had some serious test anxiety--even though I knew I wasn't really going to be put in Special Ed!

I'm not allowed to know my score, but my visit teachee told me yesterday at church I scored very high, but wow, great experience because now I know what being evaluated for special education is all about. Whew. Close call!

5 comments:

JMadd said...

What! You can't know your score? Is it an IQ test? Because I know that they won't tell kids their scores because it might go to their head, but you're an adult and you have a right to know how NOT special ed you are.

Relaxed Cat said...

how funny. i would want to know my score, too. but how interesting about the exam difficulty and language barriers presenting passing problems (that doesn't sound good). i think it'd be so hard to be a special ed. teacher. and those poor kids. what a crappy test to have to take--and then you're labeled based on your performance. :(

Stupendousman35 said...

Wait so who do they normally give the test to? Special Ed? ESL? I think I might be wrong on my special ed definition...I'm thinking like mentally handicapped....

Unknown said...

They give it to any kid they want to see if they need resource or special education classes...so all sorts of kids get tested...usually it starts with the kids who have really bad grades~.

WalkConkies said...

Too funny. Glad you passed! So, my in-laws will be here this weekend, but lets try to get together the next week if possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!