Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Purely Text-Relationships




Pep-Peeve from an eye-witness:

I know it was kind of funny when I saw a blurb from Sex and the City where Keri gets broken up with on a post-it note, and laughed when I saw a pre-view for He's Just Not That Into You, when Drew Barrymore says she is being rejected now by multiple technologies: text, MySpace, facebook, ect., and I admit to loving the movie You've Got Mail, but seriously, there is a problem developing America.

Students are having relationship almost solely on text-messaging. I have students who get to know a guy and decide that they are going to be exclusive soley over text messages and facebook e-mails. They are conducting the important hook-up, break-up, and make-up conversations non-verbally. Why? Because it eliminates the awakwardness of face-to-face or even voice-to-voice communication.

I know they are trying to "save minutes" when they stay up until 4 a.m. texting instead of talking on the phone, but wait, isn't there ususally free minutes after 9 pm?

They say they are not supposed to be talking to boys/girls that late at night so texting all night is incognito, but wait, should they really be talking to boys/girls that late at night? No, and not just sleep suffers on that one people.

And needless to say as a teacher, I don't think it is appropriate (and not just for academic purposes) that students should be texting each other class to class and school to school all-day-long. Separation anxiety people?

I am just waiting for the day when they get into real relationships, like let's say, marriage relationships, and they cannot communicate at all. I'm afriad the following just might happen:



And when it does, be very, very afraid.

8 comments:

Duludes said...

That's so funny I had a very similar conversation just today about this. I was thinking what would happen if all of sudden these teens didn't have the technology that we have today, would they be able to have a actually conversation with out being able to use their fingers to do all the communicating.

Stupendousman35 said...

ha! texting....good way to end the post it with the pic. hahah it made me laugh.

Missy said...

I hear ya...my sis is a Senior and guys ask her out all the time via text. It's so weird and definitely eliminates the awkwardness that all of us need to go through. I'm just glad I'm not in High School anymore!

Missy said...

I could see how this can/is a bad habit! But you did clear up some acronyms for me with your first picture though...lol.

Katie said...

I know! It's so sad!

The Gurrs said...

Oh, I totally agree! The whole constant texting drives me nuts! My kids will be so "deprived" :)

Michelle said...

True that! What WILL they do?

WalkConkies said...

Thanks for clearing up some acronyms for me as well. I think we're getting old!!! I suppose I should try out texting some time to know what it is like to be a teenager these days! (ha ha I don't even know how to text message!) Love your post and pics!