Friday, June 20, 2008

The Dreaded Question

I hate being asked, "So what do you like to do?" Seems so canned, and is usually a pre-cursor to being asked out. But somehow when people ask you, "So what do you like to do?" You suddenly feel amazingly uninteresting and cannot think of a single thing you "do." It is like being asked the almost equally lame question, "What's new in your life?" And although your life seems amazingly interesting to you, you cannot think of an interesting thing to share that sounds interesting when you are about to say it. I think it's a mental thing.

Last night at a combined ward party a guy talked to me for about 45 minutes to an hour about life I guess. I had never met him before and he was acting engaged in the conversation, and then we got to point, that point we all know about, when it's time to ask, "So what do you like to do?" And I went blank. You see, I like to do everything! The only thing that I really said no to that was presented to me was rock climbing on a first and blind date, not in a practice quarry type place, but on the side of a mountain. My main, lame reason for not trying it, (not that I told him this) was harnesses make your backside look big, and I obviously didn't know him very well! :) But what do I actually do on a regular basis? I read, and scrapbook and go to the gym, and um yeah, that's what I spend my free time doing. Of course I socialize with friends at dinners and movies and concerts and hiking and those types of things, but yeah. Well, when I said I like to run and read he was like, "No, what do you like to do?" And I smiled lamely and said, I like to do those things, yes by choice, on my spare time. I think it must be time I come up with a new hobby like mountain biking or playing tennis. That's what I will try to work on this summer, something interesting to say to that dreaded question: What do you like to do?

6 comments:

WalkConkies said...

I know what you mean - I always blank out too! I'm just impressed that you LIKE to run!!!!! I wish I could say the same!

Missy said...

Even now (although it's not as stressful) when people ask me what's going on, it's just stuff that isn't too interesting to others.
I, too am impressed that you like to run. What about doing more with photograhy? You were always good at that.

Missy said...

I like what running does for my body, does that count? I also get over load. To many, to little time to answer.

Scully said...

The answer to the question really depends on what you want to do with the person. Look for clues in the conversation leading up to the question. If you want to back away slowly and never see them again, you say whatever it is they wouldn't want to hear. Like if it is one of those extremely church-y, overly-pious guys I talk about how much I love to read Vogue. And watch TV. If I want to enjoy a lovely candlelight dinner with them, possibly for the rest of my life, I try to find some common connection - like enjoying the outdoors, or visiting museums, or following the World Cup. You don't try to be someone you aren't, just focus on what you have in common. This is all best case scenario, of course. Seeing as how stress can make you go blank. But it something to aim for.

Unknown said...

I *like* to run because it is becoming a habit and it makes me feel healthy. :D

I do need to work on my photography, that would be something intresting to say I do, but I couldn't ever be as good as Missy! :)

And Scully, thanks! Good advice, I so wouldn't have thought of that on my own, and I should have worked on a common interest angle. Next time I guess!

JMadd said...

So did he ask you out?