Sunday, August 15, 2010

Rastafari





So I just got back from Jamaica (yeah, I didn't know I was going either - free plane ticket, long story). It was amazing; I'm so going back someday! Anyway, it was gorgeous and colorful and so much fun! One of the most interesting things about the trip was seeing "real" Rastas. Remember the dude on Cool Runnings with the long hair? Yeah, he was a Rasta.

So Rastafari is a religion - a Christian one actually. They worship Haile Selassie I of Ethiopia, former Emperor of Ethiopia, as the second embodiment of God on Earth, the first being Jesus Christ. They grow their dreadlocks as a symbol of their "baptism" and smoke marajuana as their "sacrament" of sorts. They live off the land, basically, rejecting materialism and western culture. They usually live in communities where the money they make is pooled together for shared living. They try to be helpful and friendly, and although I'm told they do wash their hair, it doesn't always smell like that!

Bob Marley was a famous Rasta and about 5 - 10% of Jamaicans are Rastas. I'm sad I didn't get a good picture of any of them with their hair all tied up in one of those big-bulbous hats.

4 comments:

JMadd said...

You're brave to stand so close. I would be afraid that something would crawl out of the dreads.

WalkConkies said...

Okay, so I want to hear the long story and find out how to win a free ticket to Jamaica! :) We went to Jamaica on our honeymoon cruise and it POURED rain the whole day we were there, but it was beautiful! So, I'm glad it looks like you had good weather and a great time!!!

Reece and Caitlin said...

Oh man that trip looks.....interesting! We are jealous of all these trips you are taking! I hope you helped mom get better at updating her blog while you were home, oh and we also expect a good blog post about the Oregon coast. We miss you!

Missy said...

That first picture really looks like he needs to wash his hair! Looks like a fun trip. I want to hear more!