Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Kids Say the Darndest Things

If you can’t impress them with your lesson plans, or your wit & wisdom; if you can’t even impress them with your good looks, impress them with your pants!

I had a former 10th grade student visit my classroom a few days ago and tell me he remembers coming into my class for the first time last year and thinking, WOW, Ms. E has the coolest pants ever! And I quote: “You had these pants that were like fitting on the top and then got really huge on the bottom kind of like bell-bottoms and they were like the coolest pants ever…and all year me and XXXXXX (another male student) talked about how you have the coolest pants!”

Uhhhh…if this wasn’t a little skinny, black-dyed haired, skater boy, I might have been a bit concerned. It wasn’t a sexual comment at all, (we all know I’m not blessed with the best looking posterior-region), it wasn’t a comment about that, it was just a compliment, in the typically- awkward way of a teenager - letting me know that in his opinion, I’m one of the coolest teachers at the high school.
The pants, you ask?

A pair of brown velvety-corduroy-bell-bottom-ish pants from Banana Republic.

6 comments:

JMadd said...

Well, I guess whatever gets their attention. BTW- guys like ladies with a little junk in the trunk. I think that a song has been written about the subject. Maybe a few songs.

WalkConkies said...

Ha ha! That is hillarious! I'm just glad you haven't tried to duplicate Mr. Grover's white pants and striped underwear look that we had to endure in high school band :)!

Katie said...

Reading this I am almost sad I'm not teaching right now. I miss those random comments. =-)

Unknown said...

I will go to my grave remembering Mr. Grover's white pants with striped underwear! haha Makes me wonder what my legacy will be? :)

Missy said...

That's so great! I would LOVE a compliment like that.

Katrina said...

You are the coolest teacher in the high school! But where is the picture of those great brown pants?