Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Gift of Time

"Heavenly Father provided me the gifts of life and time, but I was to choose how to use them." - Kristen M. Oaks

I love this quote from Elder Oaks's new wife Kristen. I believe this way about life, I believe this way about my continued single status, and I believe this about all of our lives. I'm not really into self-help books but lately I've decided to try it out. I just finished reading The Late Bloomer's Revolution and A Single Voice, both similar, one from outside of the church, one from within. The message was essentially the same: Go make your life; stop waiting for it to happen!

Sister Oaks says really this applies to both single and married people. She says, "Looking at sisters around me, those who were happy and fulfullied, I began to notice that their happiness had nothing to do with their marital status...Whether happy or not depends to some degree upon outward circumstances, but mostly it depends on how you choose to look at things yourself, whether you measure what you have or have not." (11)

Amy Cohen says it's never too late to begin, never too late to become what you have always wanted to be, and Sister Oaks says it is up to us to make our lives meaningful. I believe that. I'm grateful for all of the amazing examples I have around me (this means you) whether married or single of living a happy life. I have my ups and downs; don't we all. But I have been trying to make a concerted effort to "make happy memories" as Sister Oaks says, even as a single person. You have each been a part of those happy memories - thanks for your friendship.

Recent happy memories:

Hiking around Brighton Ski Resort, Silver Lake and Twin Lakes


Observation Point, 8-mile round trip hike to the top of Zion National Park


The Utah Shakespearean Festival

4 comments:

Relaxed Cat said...

A shot of inspiration. Thank you!
I loved that book, too.
AND...
I wrote the back cover!! Isn't that fun? ;)

Unknown said...

You did tell me that Panini and I forgot! Yeah for you, how fun! :)

The Gurrs said...

You are so amazing krystal! Life really is about us choosing how we take each precious moment we have. We will never "arrive" at happiness, we have to chose to make it. I have definitely been learning that lately!

WalkConkies said...

So true, Krystal. I need to read those books - but until then, thanks for sharing what you learned from them :). That is one lesson I definitely learned from my Dad's short life! He always saw the best in everything and everyone and made the most of his time on this earth. It is so much more fun to be with people who see the cup half full rather than half empty!