Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Black-Shirt Theory



Some of you who have lived with me have heard me share this theory, but here is what I think is hard about being single and finding someone to date, I called it the Black-Shirt Theory.

I love black shirts. If I walked you into my room and opened my closet doors you would see a lot of black. I'm not like one of the Von Curtis girls who wear black everyday in an assortment of styles to cut your hair, but I do love black. Almost everyday there is some sort of black clothing on me. There are a variety of reasons I love black, it is slimming, but it also looks great with my hair, but I digress.

I went shopping again this week to look for something new for an occasion I am attending and guess what I came home with? Something black. I have placed bans on myself from buying anything else black, and I actually have been doing pretty well, but this is a fantastic black skirt!

Anyway, everytime I shop I draw to black things and I find something cool and ask myself, do I need it? No, but this one [insert here] has lace, ribbons, cool buttons; is knit, silk, wool, long, short, somehow I think it is different enough, and maybe just that much better than the last black shirt I purchased.

I don't need all those black shirts, in reality I need one, cute, all-purpose, comfortable, goes-with-anything black shirt. And here is how it relates to dating: people seem to always be looking for the next best version of what they already know they want. This girl or guy could be great, but there could be a slightly-improved version out there so they wait to buy. I'm certainly no expert on dating, but do you think finding someone might be like purchasing one fantastic item that you know you love and know goes well with everything in your closet and then deciding to be happy with it?

6 comments:

JMadd said...

You do have to make a decision and decide that it is the one for you. Like black shirts, there's always going to be another one that comes along that seems more perfect than the last, but it's still a black shirt. I prayed about whether my husband was the right one for me, and the answer I got was that I just needed to choose for myself. And I couldn't be happier. The thing about perfection is, just when we think we've found it, our definition of it changes.

Michelle said...

Great analogy. Greg (Friel) has a similar one about how finding a spouse can be like changing radio stations even when you like the current song, just to see if there's a better one on another station only to find out when you come back to the original one that it's over.

Duludes said...

Oaky JMadd & Michelle have put it perfectly. There really is nothing else to say. I ditto them. But as far as loving black clothing Im the same. I have a hard time trying to introduce color into my wardrobe. So I thought I was being good by buying brown. Then that started to get out of hand. Im doing much better now that I work at Kohls. My wardrobe is starting to look more like a rainbow and less like the black pot and the end of the rainbow.

Relaxed Cat said...

oooh, I like it. But I'd go with that great pair of jeans that hugs you in all the right places, makes you look dang hot, never gets old, and is versatile for all types of situations.

Missy said...

This is fantastic. I agree 100%! There is always that one black shirt that will be your favorite imperfections and all...then you know!

WalkConkies said...

I love your theory! You should write a book about your theory and the joys of singlehood and dating. I'd also like Panini to find me that pair of jeans that makes me look "dang hot" :) - until then I'll stick with the black shirt theory :)!