Thursday, October 04, 2007

My Motivation: Gordon B. Hinckley


We have been studying the Purtians in my 11th grade class. They were such a guilt ridden culture! No forgiveness of sins ect. You know, The Scarlet Letter.... Well, we did a journal write on whether guilt was a good motivator for change. I told the kids if they said that guilt was not a good motivator, that they needed to tell me what is a good motivator for them. I received a variety of responses but this was my favorite:

"Guilt is an effective way, becuase you put a guilt trip on them. It's worked for me in the past when I did something wrong my parents put a guilt trip on me. but also my favorite motivator is Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley. He teaches the difference between right and wrong. He just teaches all good behavior. That's wy He's my favorite motivator." (17 year old boy)

This one was pretty good too:

"Guilt is an effective motivator, it eats the inside of you till you give in. It's like when you're in church and they say you can bare your testimony, even though you don't want to, guilt makes you go up there. It also makes you tell your secrets about everything, your life and other people's lives." (17 year old boy)

Only in Utah! :)

4 comments:

Missy said...

I like the second one the best! That's great! You seem like such a great teacher! All I did was watch the movies on the books we read, if we even read them!

Panini said...

"it makes you tell your secrets" your own and others! eyiiiiyiyi ;) Be careful around that one!

Unknown said...

the kid was funny, though I don't know if I want guilt to be my motivator. It's going to motivate some, but you can turn it off, too. That and who wants to do something because you're afraid not to? I can't live that way. At least I don't want to live that way. Fear and judgement, or fear you are wrong makes you weak. It makes you do things for all the wrong reasons.

Unknown said...

Oh, and how do you like teaching now that you are in it?