Monday, April 22, 2013

The Art of the Bullfight - Madrid

             One of my favorite things we did in Spain was go to a bullfight in Madrid. It was so intriguing. I loved it. It wasn't nearly as bloody and terrible as people portray it to be. When the bulls are actually killed the sword goes right into the top of their spinal cord and it's a quick death. It is terribe to kill that many bulls, but apparently the meat is donated to charity organizations.


 What I really realized is that bullfighting is about the dance. The closer the arrogant, charming torrero can dance the bull toward his body, the higher the score. It's all about flirting with danger. The elegance and calm of the bullfighter in contrast to the raw energy and anger of the bull is mesmerizing.


 This guy, the winner of the bullfight, was a little reckless, but the crowd loved it. He got grazed by the bull in the thigh, but most of the blood on him is from the bull. I have no doubt in my mind this guy wore white to better show-off the gory-red of the blood.


 I did feel bad for the bulls when they were ignominously drug from the stadium with shouts of "Ole!"

All in all, seeing a bullfight in Spain was a very cool experience. I have wanted to see one since I read The Shadow of a Bull  in sixth grade, and Ernest Hemingway novels in high school.

The empty part of the stadium were the "expensive" seats in the shade - that is why it looks somewhat empty - but we got the cheap seats with the noisy music and Ole! shouting.

1 comment:

Missy said...

Whoa! I had no idea there is blood! Crazy stuff! I want to see more!