Saturday, April 09, 2011

Pay-Off

Life certainly doesn’t turn out as you expect it to. I certainly didn’t expect to be where I am now, no husband, no children; a BA, BS, and English Second Language and journalism endorsements, not to mention somewhere between a third and a half of a master’s degree. Yes, I am still working on it and will finish it sometime in the next decade!

I’ve taught high school for five years, and am now beginning to take on extra responsibilities. I am working on a 10th grade English collaboration team, am being trained in the new 2011 Core Curriculum Standards for Language Arts in Utah, and am training other teachers in a series of workshops. Did I mention I am also trying to finish my master’s degree? I certainly had other plans for my life!

Life is busy and sometimes discouraging; if I’m not helping an ESL student learn what a phrase means in English, I’m trying to get a high school newspaper printed, an honors student to love the symbolism in Edgar Allan Poe, or trying not to ring a 10th grader’s neck for telling me the fifth time this week, “I have a life Ms. E, that is why I didn’t read To Kill a Mockingbird! I have a life.”

But every once in a while as with anything you are doing, in any profession or in parenthood (so they say), you have a redeeming moment that makes it feel worth it. This week a senior girl in one of my classes, who consequently is a dwarf (not that that has anything to do with this story) told me when people ask her what she wants to be when she grows up, or what is her plan for the future are she tells them:

“I tell them I want to be you. Whenever anybody, the counselors or anybody, ask me what I want to be, I say I want to be Miss E.”

I must be doing something right, I’m not sure what exactly because I’m not the model for Mormon womanhood, but I must be doing something--. She wants to be me, and suprisingly, I didn't pay her to say it.

13 comments:

Relaxed Cat said...

How tender. <3

JMadd said...

That does make it all worth it.

Scully said...

I would like to argue, quite vociferously, with the idea that you are not "a model of Mormon womanhood." You are a temple-attending, active member of the Church who lives by faith and obedience. Regardless of marital status that IS a model of LDS womanhood. And that is what I think your student is responding to, not whether you are married or not. Lecture over ; )

Rena Lesué said...

I'll be the Moulder to your Scully, when I emphatically agree that you are "a model of Mormon Womanhood". Honestly, what better example do young girls have but a woman who doesn't sit on her ass all day expecting prince Charming to ride up up on a blasted pony to take her away to "happiness". Seriously, young girls need an example like you. Someone who can show them that you'll ride your own damn horse to your own damn destination. Suck on that Charmings of the world.

Missy said...

That is a huge pay off. Wow. My own kids don't even say that about me. You are doing a lot of things right.

Missy said...

That is an awesome feeling! And you are an amazing example, don't every doubt that! :)

WalkConkies said...

Scully hit it on the head. You are awesome - and you deserve to have moments like that! Those moments seem to come when you least expect it and you really need it. I guess that is how most blessings come - when we are working so hard on doing what we're suppose to that we don't anticipate the blessings that come our way!

The Gurrs said...

What a sweet, smart girl! You are, and always have done lots of things right! That is why I learned so much from you when we were roomies. You are an amazing woman! One of the best I know!

Charle Gordon said...

If you can't find joy where you are you won't find it anywhere... Thats why your friend wants to be you Positivity attracts ;)

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone for the sweet, supportive comments. :)

Adventures in Kamalot said...

You ARE someone worth looking up to! Nobody's life really goes as planned. Not really. You are making the most of life and that is all anyone can be expected to do. Love ya!

Katrina said...

Hey, you are the best, and I am really proud of you!! Keep smiling and living life with all it's possibilities.

Michelle said...

That is such a compliment! Wow!