Sunday, June 27, 2010

Grand Canyon--CHECK!





So, to keep my life interesting I (and a few friends) created bucket lists of things we have always wanted to do and accomplish. One item on my list was hike the Grand Canyon. And now I can proudly say -- check!

Okay, okay, we didn't hike all the way down to the river, we were not equiped with camping gear, but we did hike six miles of the Grand Canyon! Even my 60 year old mom made it! Yeah! The biggest challenge was the heat. When it is 87 degrees on top, it is 95 degrees 1/2 way down. If we had reached the bottom, temperatures were reported over 108 degrees. I drank tons of water - a little over 6 litres to be exact, and ate a few Cliff bars along the way. I am really not too worn out, and other than the heat, I would say for at least as far as my family hiked, Mt. Timp was a lot harder. The trail we went on, Bright Angel Trail, really isn't too steep, just winding and winding and continuously winding switch-backs.

Anyway, I have accomplished quite a few things on my list, the Oregon Coast, learn 20 words in a foriegn language, go to a country I've never been too before, hike Mt. Timp in the fall, ride a motorcycle with a cute boy, and quite a few other items, (a few which will remain undisclosed for now) and now I can check off the Grand Canyon! Thank you to my dad who finally gave into my whining and took me there!

4 comments:

Missy said...

Nice bucket list. I can't wait to hear what you do next! AND what the other unmentioned items are. ;)

Relaxed Cat said...

I didn't realize it was a family trip! How fun! Have you done Havasupi? Google it; it's amazing.
p.s. now you're home, it's party time!

WalkConkies said...

Glad you had fun and made it back alive!!! Way to go on the bucket list. We were challenged to make a list of 100 goals we wanted to accomplish a few years ago - I should read it and remember what I need to be accomplishing someday!

Missy said...

Nothing feels quite so good as marking off items of a to-do list like this! Super fun!