Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Broaken


Broaken: the way this English teacher spelled broken on the white board this week. Embarassing? Not really. Yes, but no. I am almost incapable of being embarrassed anymore. But yeah, very embarrasing for an English teacher. It happens on occasion. Here is the deal. I am a visual learner and learned to spell by reading. So now that I am a teacher I read all sorts of awful spelling and I absorb a little bit of it on occassion - but just momentarily. I catch myself, but gosh knows what my spelling will be like in 30 years! Here is an example of what I read this week while reading student journals. Look at all of the creative spellings this one 10th grade student had for the word Journal:

Jernal

Jurnoh

Jranal

Jurranol

Juronl

Save me now. i think I need a new job before the kids think spelling is not important because even their English teacher cannot spell (only on occassion, but always when I am on the spot!)

4 comments:

JMadd said...

Start doing spelling tests!

Katie said...

I've got you beat. I once wrote truk instead of truck. Wow. Of course the students have not let me live that one down. I have a sign behind my desk that says TRUK: EPIC FAIL, MRS. REESE. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one =-)

Melodie said...

My husband says all of the attempts to spell "journal" look like they could be "Utah names"!

Michelle said...

Oh man, that is classic. I'm thinking of dedicating one of my un-used white boards to bad spelling examples I come across. Too mean?

And yes, Melodie. Utahns have no respect for basic phonetics.